Nutritarianism

Monday, April 8, 2013

Three-Bean Lentil Soup for the Slow Cooker

Three-Bean Lentil Soup
There's not much of this soup left in our fridge, so I figured I'd better snap a picture of it before it's long gone.  Not that I won't be making it again soon. It was delicious! And easy!

Canadian Living Magazine's recipes have consistently been winners in my kitchen, and this soup is no different.  The original link to the recipe can be found here: Three-Bean Lentil Soup. I'm posting the slow cooker version here for your enjoyment. My version includes celery and baby carrots, and substitutes curry powder for curry paste. You can have fun adding your own favourite veggies.  Next time I'll be adding a generous amount of brown mushrooms.

Three-Bean Lentil Soup [Adapted]

Ingredients

2 onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 1/2 cups baby carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp minced gingerroot
4 tsp curry paste (I used 2 tsp curry powder, next time 3 tsp!)
1 28oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
6 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
1 cup red lentils
1 tsp ground coriander (next time double!)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 19oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 19oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 19oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed

Place everything BUT the chickpeas and beans into the crock pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Add chickpeas, kidney beans and black beans and cook for 30 minutes until heated through.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment