Nutritarianism

Friday, November 19, 2010

Another reason why I've stopped eating meat

Here in Canada, our Thanksgiving holiday is long gone. Christmas is coming, and turkey is our traditional celebratory meal, but at what price?

2008 NY Celebration FOR the Turkeys
Turkeys rescued from slaughter houses

Yesterday, Alicia Silverstone, a fellow vegan, posted the YouTube video at the bottom of this post at her blog, The Kind Life.

Celebration FOR The Turkeys

I initially cut meat out of my diet for it's health benefits and to avoid disease down the road. I suppose it was inevitable as I traveled the vegan road that I would come to find out just how cruel the meat industry is. Surely God never intended for animals to be treated inhumanely so we could eat them!

2008 CA Celebration FOR the Turkeys

How naive I used to be, having visions of the beef I ate coming from a cow that used to live out in a pasture. Not that I ever thought that. The sad thing is that I never thought about it at all.

2008 NY Celebration FOR the Turkeys

Some may scoff under the assumption that some animals are stupid and clueless and therefore subject to any kind of treatment we wish to inflict upon them.

If you have a pet, consider this:
"Many people think of turkeys as little more than holiday centerpieces, but turkeys are social, playful birds who enjoy the company of others. They relish having their feathers stroked and like to chirp, cluck, and gobble along to their favorite tunes. Anyone who spends time with them on farm sanctuaries quickly learns that turkeys are as varied in personality as dogs and cats." - Peta.org
The video is hard to watch, but the last half is hopeful because of the work of Farm Sanctuary. Please consider being brave and watching this video, or the one below it. It was never supposed to come to this.


If you'd like a more sanitized version, and I don't blame you if you do, this is a sweet video (for the most part):

No comments:

Post a Comment