Nutritarianism

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Veggie Burgers, Caesar Salad Dressing, and Naturally Fat-Free Ice Cream!

Believe it or not, this meal absolutely had me stuffed! I could barely finish my cauliflower! I share the salad dressing recipe below.

The other evening I tried one of Dr. Fuhrman's recipes. I have his book, "Eat to Live". It put me on the track to becoming a vegan.

The recipe is for Walnut Lentil Veggie Burgers (recipe below). They were very yummy! I may add some more herbs and spices next time, maybe not. It has lots of potential for becoming outstanding!

Jon (hubby) really liked them, so much so that my hopes of having leftovers for another meal were dashed. They're pretty darn good. The kids ate theirs all up. They have definitely made it into our meal rotation.

They look a little overdone, but really they weren't.

Dr. Fuhrman's Walnut Lentil Veggie Burgers

Makes 8

2 cups onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced (I didn't have any)
5 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons VegiZest (I used 1 veggie bouillon cube in the water)
2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1-1/4 cup water
4 tablespoons no-salt added tomato paste
2 cups cooked lentils, drained
1-1/2 tablespoon ground flax seed
1-1/2 tablespoon raw sesame tahini
1-1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon no-salt mustard
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped (I used pecans)
1/4 cup oatmeal, ground
2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons parsley, minced (I used 1 Tbsp dried parsley)

Directions

Sauté onion, carrots, bell pepper and garlic in a large pan until softened, adding water, if necessary, to prevent sticking, about 5-6 minutes.

I sliced the carrots in the food processor, and then put in my S-blade and pulsed them until they were finely chopped

I prepared all the wet ingredients in advance (not including the tahini and mustard)

Add VegiZest, Italian seasonings, balsamic vinegar, water, tomato paste, and stir well. Simmer, covered, for about 5-7 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 5 minutes until thick.

I mixed up all the dry ingredients up together. In hindsight, I should have processed the nuts a little finer

Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool a few minutes. Add lentils and remaining ingredients and mix well by hand. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or until ready to bake.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a baking pan with oil. Take about a rounded 1/3 cup of the mixture, form into balls, and place on baking sheet. Using a moistened flat bottomed glass or jar, flatten balls into a burger shape. Bake for 12 minutes, turn over and bake an additional 12 minutes until lightly browned.

* Serves 8.

Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing

I have no idea where I got this recipe from! I have adapted it somewhat, that I do know. No matter, it's very yummy! As a nutritarian-vegan I have to limit my use of it due to the processed oil, but it's nice for an occassional fancy treat for the family (okay and me!).

2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
2 Tbsp ground almonds
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp oil
1/8 tsp pepper
(I have yet to do this but you could add a pinch or two of salt)

With a hand mixer, combine the first 4 ingredients. It will form a paste. Beat in remaining ingredients--I usually combine them first and gradually pour it all in while beating.

Pour into small mason jar and refrigerate.

Moving onto ice-cream...

Who doesn't love ice cream?! Take a look at this dish of scrumptious non-dairy fat free ice cream down yonder. It's frosty and creamy, everything you'd expect from a really good soft ice cream. It's Dr. Fuhrman's Banana Fluff recipe with a little unsweetnened cocoa powder thrown in.

I don't have a VitaMix yet, but I did well using my food processor. I tried using my blender but it could not deal with the frozen banana even though I had broken in up into 1" pieces before freezing. You'll need 1 banana per serving.

I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for more non-dairy frozen dessert recipes!

I detest flash photography but
the urge to try this recipe
struck at night!

Chocolate Banana Fluff

1 serving

1 frozen chopped or broken up banana*
1/4 cup almond, rice, or other non-dairy milk
a splash of vanilla extract
2 tsp cocoa powder (next time we're upping it to 1 Tbsp)

Throw it all in your food processor or high-powered blender and process until smooth. Pulsing it seems to help. Dish out and enjoy!

My teens loved it even though they're not big fans of banana. What a great way to treat your little ones to a healthy frozen dessert!

*do this a day ahead, peel and chop up (if you just have a food processor like me) a ripe banana, throw into a ziploc baggie and toss in freezer.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these. I'm revisiting ETL and these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fat-free, and low fat food at grocery stores with nutritional facts at http://healthygrocery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete