Nutritarianism

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Breakfasty Things


No artery clogging bacon and eggs with butter-slathered toast to be found here. Sure that stuff tastes good, but is it good for you? And what's it doing to your waistline! I know what it did to mine...jiggle jiggle.

The photo above is a combination of banana, frozen raspberries, and frozen peaches all blended together in my food processor with a bit of almond milk. The last half I added more water and drank it. Very pretty.


This next sample is an oatmeal breakfast bar. They're officially called All-Out Best Oatmeal Breakfast Bars. The recipe can be found here. I got Jon to try a piece shortly after coming out of the oven. He said, "It's not bad." A few minutes later, "Hmmm, it's starting to grow on me. This is pretty good. Can I have another?"


I want to avoid having us eat processed foods, so I was hoping this would be a great replacement for the granola bars my son has been getting in his lunch. This morning my son asked me, "What are those things dad put in my lunch?". I told him they're like a granola bar. I didn't want him thinking "magic cookie bar" or anything like that and end up setting him up for disappointment. I mean I did splurge and put carob chips in them (which by the way taste AMAZING!).

Well, it turned out that he didn't like them and could only manage eating one. After giving it a taste test (I avoid sugar and hadn't eaten one yet) I had to agree that they didn't work out. I think a good dose of tweaking might turn things around for them. I'll have to keep experimenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment